How Can I Save Money When I Move?
- Declutter before you pack: The more items you have to move, the more expensive it will be. Take some time to go through your belongings and get rid of anything you no longer need. You can donate, sell, or even give away items to friends or family.
- Pack yourself, or with a friend: While it may be tempting to hire a professional packing service, this can be a bit of an expense. Instead, pack your items yourself, or even hire a friend to give you a hand. You can purchase boxes and packing materials from a local store, or even reuse boxes from items you already have.
- Compare moving quotes: When choosing a moving company, it's essential to shop around and get quotes from multiple providers. This will help you compare prices and find the best deal. Be sure to read reviews and ask for references before selecting a mover to ensure that they are reliable and experienced. I like to recommend Allied Moving, they offer competitive rates and I have had wonderful experiences with them in the past. Their contact information can be found on my website.
- Book early: Many moving companies offer discounts for bookings made several weeks or even months ahead of time. Additionally, booking early can help ensure that you get the moving date and time that you want, which can be especially important during peak moving seasons. If you’re able, some companies offer a cheaper rate for weekdays vs weekends or the last/first days of the month.
- Use free or low-cost moving supplies: Moving supplies can add up quickly, but there are several ways to save money on these items. You can often find free boxes on Kijiji or Facebook Marketplace, or another option is Kemel Cartons, which sells surplus and recycled boxes at a low cost. You can also use items you already have, like suitcases or laundry baskets. Finally, consider using towels, blankets, or clothing to wrap up fragile items instead of purchasing bubble wrap or other packing materials.